The Exceptional Sidekick Service Dogs assists clients in training their own dog to be a service dog. Owner Training is extremely challenging, and requires discipline and commitment; it can also be incredibly rewarding and therapeutic. If you don’t already have a dog, we can assist you in identifying and purchasing a prospect to train as part of this program.
About our Owner Trainer Program
- We can assist you in identifying and purchasing a prospect to train, or you can elect to train your currently owned dog.
- You and your dog must meet our requirements to become a service dog team. Please thoroughly read our application and training processes for owner trained service dogs before applying. (outlined below)
- All dogs entering our owner trained service dog program must be in good health, up-to-date on their shots, and must be spayed or neutered at the appropriate age.
- The puppy or dog must pass an initial temperament and assessment test.
- As with all service dogs in training (SDiT), your dog must continue to pass frequent temperament evaluations throughout training and will stay in the training program at the discretion of our trainers.
- There is no guarantee that your dog will have a suitable temperament to qualify as a service dog as their personalities evolve.
- To be eligible for this program, you must meet strict criteria, as we maintain incredibly high integrity for our owner trained service dog teams.
- We require that owner trained service dog teams train with us for at least six months and that the dog be trained to perform a minimum of 3 tasks to offset the owner’s disability.